I’m not sure he would have agreed to do it if he’d known he’d have to stand for so long holding that basket of flowers. But I’m so glad he did it. He really fits in as a local now.
The mayor gave a small speech and the man next to him, who I think was a descendant of a veteran, read some really interesting letters from soldiers from the village.
The mayor read the list of men from the village who died in service during WWI, following each name with the statement "fallen for France", and in the end there was a minute of silence. Then the 4th and 5th grade students had prepared a small act describing the life of the soldiers in trenches (les poilus) and some songs. The ceremony was much better than what I remember experiencing growing up. It made me proud to be french.
Coincidently, my Mom decided to meet Joshua’s request to taste snails. Last year, when he adopted some snails picked up on the side of the road, I told him that people here eat them, and joked that he could try one day. He was more intrigued than grossed out, and said he’d like to taste it one day. Well that day came...
I must admit my kids are more french than I am in that regard. I have always been too grossed out to taste this gagging, discusting thing one can harly call food.
But my kids are more adventurous than me, and they both tasted it without thinking about it twice. They thought they were alright, but not great. They both had a second and that was it. I can gladly say they showed no interest in ever having it again.
I have refused to taste snails my entire life, but after I saw both of my boys bravely accomplish this crazy ritual I felt it was time I gave in. Everyone says the seasonning (butter and herbs) is what makes it good... Well that wasn’t enough for me.
So we really are french, and proud of it, despite the lack of connection with snails, but I also try to maintain the boys’ american identity and in the meantime make my own.
This year, we celebrated Thanksgiving again. It is one of my favorite american holidays. I love its message, and I love how it also sets off the Christmas season. I also love that it gives us a reason to eat things we’d normally not eat (like sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and thick gravy). Did the pilgrims eat foie gras? Meh... probably not, but we had it nonetheless and I’m seriously considering adding it to our traditionnal thanksgiving dinner from now on. Despite this unusual addition, I think we did a decent job making it authentic.
Before we moved here I was a little sad my boys didn’t have much of a french identity. I am really happy that they do now, but I hope they will always keep a part of America in them.




Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire