Josh has been overly enthusiastic about school since he started end of August but I must say his enthusiasm doubled when he started taking the school bus.
![]() |
| here comes the bus |
![]() |
| booster seat and 5point harness. I'm relieved! |
| Kathy the aid (because there's a child with special needs in the bus) and Kathy the driver. |
A few weeks after he started taking the school bus I happened to be near the school around pick up time so I decided to surprise Josh and pick him up instead of letting him take the school bus. I arrived just as he was about to enter the bus. He barely noticed me, and when I offered to drive him home he simply said no. He jumped on the bus and I had to follow the bus home! It makes me happy though, it's such a relief he loves school.
Josh learned to read his letters when we were doing our home preschool with our friends last year and we worked on sounds this summer. He is now capable of reading easy words like CAT, DOG, TRUCK, PIG, CAR etc... I think it's pretty impressive for a 3 year-old. However his tracing skills aren't very good. He can write his name... poorly... and that's it. I don't think they focus on that at all in school and I don't mind. He comes home singing new songs and reciting little poems and I think it's great. He learned "Little Miss Muffet" this week and can recite it completely. I heard him sing "The Bear went over the Mountain" which I haven't taught him, he's also pretty good at inventing songs, and words that don't make any sense but he pretends are french, haha!
I also started taking William to a drop in day care about once a week for 2hrs and it's another story. Although he regularly asks for it and always comes home ecstatic (he spent at least 2 hours repeating "I fun a' schoooooooo'" to every single person we talked to last time he went) it is heart breaking to drop him off. Josh likes the daycare too and since school is over at 11am for him I've resorted to dropping off both of them in the afternoon once a week and asking Josh to stay in his classroom until he feels better. I'm hoping he'll get used to it soon.
Here are some of the art projects Josh made (at least the ones I was able to rescue before one boy or the other destroy them):
William also made a cute paper craft at the day care but it didn't make it home... the scraps of torn paper are still scattered in the car. Which makes me wonder, do people keep all their kids' crafts? Am I a bad mother if I throw them away after they've played with them and ripped them in pieces? I have yet to find a good way to expose them and/or store them away from their destructive hands...




I love this about the bus..I can imagine feeling the same way! Such a big step in independence! Where is he going again?
RépondreSupprimerThe art thing: Man, I'm constantly facing this and have learned by now (now that Zoe is older and has just had more time to create more stuff) that you just can't possibly save it all. Even my favorites eventually get ruined so we just save them for a while in a place where we can all admire it (or play with it until it gets ruined) and then throw a lot of stuff away after bedtime...sometimes I move it to a closet to see if she notices it's gone and if she doesn't, I throw it out after a while. Even with that system, I constantly have stacks of artwork on our kitchen counter because I don't have the heart to just throw it immediately away but don't really have a place to display it all. It's hard but there's just no way. One of my favorite ways to display art/projects is to hang a string and hang stuff on it with a clothespin. I have one in our stairwell along the bannister and in a window. I've also heard of people taking pictures of notable stuff and keeping the photos in an album.
You're an awesome mom!
XO
Your boys are growing up! Tell them to stop :) Riding the bus is a big deal- I can empathize with you. Sending the first one off on his own is hard. I also have the dilemma of what artwork/schoolwork to keep and how to keep it. I also admit that much of it gets thrown away. I like the picture idea that Sarah shared. Miss you and your cute boys!
RépondreSupprimer