lundi 24 juin 2013

Remembering a friend

Someone brought to my attention today, that President Hinckley's (103rd!) birthday would have been yesterday. President Hinckley was my favorite prophet, he was the president of the church for all of my teenage and early adult years and I still think of him as "my prophet". His example and his counsels have played an important role in the shaping of my beliefs. I loved his joyful personality, he was always optimistic and I always felt safe and confident when listening to him, and I felt loved even though I'd never met him personally. In a word I considered him a friend. I never had a doubt about his sincerity or whose interest he had in mind.

When I think of him I picture his friendly smile, his somewhat crooked finger (sometimes his full hand) he waved in the air to emphasize every important word he said, and the "cane wave" that had become his trademark after doctors told him to carry a cane, and he did just that... carry a cane.

I wanted to be like him, I wanted to love people the way he loved people, I wanted to serve the way he served, trust in humanity the way he trusted in humanity, and hope for a better world the way he hoped.

Today I went on Pinterest to find quotes from him (I know that's a weird place to look for quotes from a Mormon prophet, but there are actually a lot and I like to read my quotes on a nice font and background : ). We read the quotes with the boys for Family Home Evening and I decided to post them here tonight so I can share them and also re-read them whenever I want. (I do realize he may not be the author of some of these quotes - at least one or two of them  - but they are things he believed in and shared, that touch me and inspire me).


The constant optimism:
http://pinterest.com/pin/229683649718645419/


http://www.creativeldsquotes.com

The advice:
http://pinterest.com/pin/99994054197622691/

http://pinterest.com/pin/201465783303512114/



http://pinterest.com/pin/157274211959495252/

http://pinterest.com/pin/344243965237686007/

http://www.meetmormonmissionaries.org/2084/young-women-gathering-before-they-serve-their-missions

http://www.etsy.com/listing/119545064/gordon-b-hinckley-quote-when-life-gets
http://pinterest.com/pin/535787686888937809/

http://pinterest.com/pin/86694361549587187/

The words of encouragement:
http://scomo.me/dont-nag-yourself-with-failure/#
The advocate of woman/motherhood:
http://pinterest.com/pin/523121312936526103/


http://pinterest.com/pin/134052526380862837/


 The cane-waver:

And the peaceful smile of a man who knows everything is going to be ok:
http://spirituallythinking.blogspot.com/2011/10/gordon-b-hinckley-quote-updated.html

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire