dimanche 25 septembre 2011

The Real life

Since I started this blog, I often receive comments like: This is the life! You seem to be having lots of fun! etc... I'm not here to say it's not true (or that I don't appreciate these comments), we are indeed very happy. We love the place we live in, we have great friends, the kids (and I) spend our days outside. In a sense it is the life. But I don't think my blog really shows it as we live it daily.

Since I want this to be an accurate record of our life, this post will be different from the usual fun and activity summary. So here's an authentic Friday in the Parks family:


. 5am- William wakes up. He refuses to drink his bottle... one cuddle and back to bed, he screams and gets up in his bed, a second cuddle, back to bed and I leave. I hear him scream and get back up. (After that I don't remember but I fell back asleep so he must have too).
. 7:30am- Josh shows up in our bedroom completely naked. I tell him to go put undies on and I push Russell, it's time to get up.
. 8am- William and Josh are having a fiesta in their bedroom, we ... are still in bed, but now it's really time to get up.
. 8:30am- Russ and Josh hurry to school

From 8:30 to 12:30-
Breakfast with William (cereal and banana spread on the floor)
Quick shower.
I take William with me on a prelim (inventory of an apartment) in the Family Housing. William grabs my pen and refuses to give it back, so I have to take it from his hands, which throws him in a major fury... in an empty apartment, i.e. super loud!
Visit to the family housing office
Email, FB, Craft blogs and Pinterest while William redecorates the living room and climbs on top of the kitchen table.
William starts fussing so I put him down for a morning nap (unusual but I know he'll fall asleep when I need to go pick up Josh otherwise)
I finish the decorated ping-pong paddles, which will serve as a trophy for the ping-pong tournament I'm helping organize tomorrow.
I start a load of laundry.
I feel a little blue, I turn on Skype but Mom and Dad are not online... oh well.
William wakes up. I show him a baby Einstein video and take advantage of the situation to cuddle and kiss him while he's still warm from his nap. The blues are gone.
William eats lunch: mushroom omelet on the floor, cheese quesadilla ripped in pieces but in the stomach.

. 12:20- We go pick up Joshua in his class. He is still wearing the same pair of pants, Yeah!!! no accidents.

On the way home, the wind blows a foul smell... hopefully it's William.

While I put the stroller in, I tell Josh to go use the bathroom. 20seconds later, I find him standing on top of the potty, surrounded by a puddle, trying to reach for his cars on one of the bookshelves. I take away 4 of his favorite cars and make a deal with him: he will get them back if he uses the potty and his undies stay dry all day.
Mini tantrum. I have him take off his wet pants and undies while I take William away from the disaster area. The foul smell gets worse as Jo gets undressed... surprise! There was more than only pee in Joshua's pants. We climb up to the bathroom, rinse him off with soap while William climbs on top of the toilet to try to reach our toothbrushes.

Downstairs it's clean-up time. Second load of laundry. We leave the apartment to take the first load to the driers (in a different building) and walk to another residence across the street to get some ribbons to finish the ping-pong paddles.

Back home, Josh gets one of his cars back because his undies are still dry and starts watching his movie Cars while I put William down for a nap and finish the paddles. Second email break (work), blog, Pinterest. Josh improvises an obstacle course, or maybe a racing track on top of the couch, pillows and ottoman. Of course I have to be one of the obstacles.
William is not sleeping... Darn morning nap!

. 3:20pm- The second load of laundry is over, the DVD is over and William is still moaning in his bed, it's time to go out, hang-up the laundry, take the trash out and the kids to the playground. Josh is waiting for me on his bike in the doorway. I change William's diaper, take the trash and the stroller and turn around... Josh is gone. We look around the courtyard twice and end-up finding him by the dumpsters. After all I had told him we'd stop there before going to the playground, so I'm not too mad, but I still had a little fright.

The weather is still nice enough that we can go to the playground every afternoon. I always take a book or a crochet/knitting project with me, although I'm lucky when I get to read 2 pages (the same two over and over, because I can never remember what I read/where I stopped). The boys are little terrorists, not at all the kind of children I was expecting to raise. They have KILLER instincts. Josh is getting better in this matter (at least with his friends-with William he's still a brute) William is getting worse. He stands up to Josh and practices attacking his friends. Most of their games involve running after each other, pushing, climbing on top of each other and making tiger and racing cars noises.

Two hours later, we've played well, terrorized well, now it's time to go prepare dinner. Josh is not very enthusiastic to leave so I have to bribe him he can help me cook to get him to come home. As a result, I have to prepare dinner with one child licking the tomatoes before putting them in the bowl and the other child climbing on top of the table. (It's funny now, but I had to use a lot of self-control then).

. 6pm- Russell comes home. We eat dinner. Taco salad on the floor for William, but Josh can not get enough. It's not a complete failure after all.

. 6:40pm- Dinner is over but it's still too early to put the kids to bed so we go out to Panera for a dessert. The air is cool and the sunset on the terrace appeasing, we've said it and we'll say it again: this place is beautiful.


. 7:30pm- After helping Russ put the kids in their PJs and brush their teeth, I let him put them to bed while I run to do a check-in in the building next door (checking-in new residents and signing inventories is part of my job).

. 8:20- Arghh!! Another one of these residents who has me inspect the apartment with a magnifying glass. I had forgotten Russ was meeting a friend to play music tonight. He leaves the minute I get home.

After 8:30pm, I clean dishes, clean-up the mess, William cries, email, Pinterest, blog, William cries, blog, William cries...
It's going to be a long night but the session of self analysis has been therapeutic:

I AM ZEN!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire