vendredi 30 août 2013

The trip

A million thank-yous to all the people who prayed for us (or sent us good karma :)), our airplane ride was seriously a bliss. Well... the beginning of the trip was quite dramatic, but everything went smoothly as soon as we'd left Denver.

For the dramatic part, Joshua threw up all over himself and his carseat 2 seconds before we arrived at the airport, so I had to change him on the curb. Then I noticed one of the stroller tire was flat, which made it super hard to push... I had planned on using the stroller as a cart to lug my 100lbs of carry-ons during our 1hr layover in DC but now it was going to be a pain. It took us forever to pass through security (the stroller didn't fit on the belt). We arrived at the gate as our section was boarding but I had to get a tag for the stroller so we didn't board right away. While getting the tag I asked if my stroller could be kept in the cabin so that I wouldn't have to wait for it in DC, the hostess said it was impossible but offered to check it all the way to Geneva. Given it was flat I figured it was probably best anyway. I also asked which terminal we'd land in and if it would be close to the terminal for our connection, the lady said it was a different terminal and I'd probably have to take a train in between but she wasn't sure.

By then I was pretty stressed out, picturing myself moving 2 kids and 100lbs of carry ons without a stroller from one terminal to another in one hour. Our section had finished boarding and we were among the last people to enter the plane. When the hostess saw all my carry ons, she said the cabin was full and offered to check my baggage in the luggage compartment for free! It made all the difference. When we arrived in DC I found out we didn't have to change terminals, we just had to walk from one end to the other. The boys had been angels on the 1st plane, they behaved perfectly in DC, boarded the 2nd plane and continued acting like model children. I received only compliments for their behavior, although they only slept about 2 hours in the total 15-16 hours of our trip.

Farewell creepy looking blue horse
hooked up to the iPods.
Chickenpox on the 1st plane

power nap on the 2nd plane


When we landed in Geneva it was 7:40am local time, 11:40pm Denver time. We were tired but relieved to be there on time. We went through immigration relatively easily and proceeded to baggage claim. I knew the baggage belt was before the gates so I'd have to unload my 450lbs of luggage off the belt by myself and carry it out. Gladly my parents and sister were just outside of the gates, they could not get in but I sent the boys through the gates to them. It took me 3 completely full carts to get the luggage past the gates and 2 cars to load it in, but we made it.

The boys quickly fell asleep in the car and there began my troubles recovering from jet-lag. They slept 6-7 hours in the middle of the day which threw them off for the next 2-3 days. It's all just a memory now, it's been 6 days now and we're all fully adjusted.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire